- LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation and/or LizardSkin Sound Control (required amount depends on the total square footage for each product.) See how to calculate how much product your project needs
- LizardSkin SuperPro Application Kit (available wherever LizardSkin coatings sold).
- Air compressor capable of 70 PSI (pounds per square inch) at 5 CFM (cubic feet per minute) – Air compressor must have a water and oil separator/flush. Pancake compressors lack volume/CFM for powering the SuperPro Application Kit. Watch this video here for more information on choosing the right compressor.
- Variable speed 3/8” – 1/2″ electric drill to stir product before application (stir paddle included in the SuperPro Application Kit).
- Empty bucket, soap and water for cleanup.
- Dust mask, eye protection, coveralls or an apron and gloves are recommended.
- Materials for surface protection in areas where you don’t want LizardSkin:
- Masking/Painter’s Tape
- Aluminum foil to protect pedals, wiring, shifters, wheel hubs, shocks/suspension, and other oddly shaped pieces of the vehicle
- Visqueen plastic sheeting
Preparation Before Applying LizardSkin
LizardSkin coatings must be applied to a clean, dry surface that is free from rust and corrosion. For bare steel surfaces, a primer is required. All other types of substrates do not require a primer. LizardSkin can be applied without scuffing to a newly primed metal surface. If you need to remove the factory-installed sound deadening material, check out this video for more information.
If existing primer or paint has been on the substrate for more than 5-7 days, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed to allow for good mechanical adhesion. For aluminum, stainless, fiberglass and wood, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed prior to the application of LizardSkin.
Mask/tape off any areas with Visqueen or paper that you don’t want coated.
It is preferred to apply the products indoors in a climate controlled environment. The ambient and substrate (surface) temperatures should be above 70˚F (21˚C) with low humidity. Lower temperatures and higher humidity will prolong dry/cure schedules. LizardSkin coatings will stop curing at temperatures below 60˚F (15˚C), but will start to cure again once the environment and surface rise above that temperature.
If application is taking place outdoors or in an area that is not climate controlled, the vehicle should be under cover with no rain or high humidity forecasted during application and for 2-3 days after your final coat to ensure proper curing. Surface and ambient temperature should be above 70˚F (21˚C) for the duration of the project (including curing schedule after final coat).
For full instructions on applying LizardSkin coatings, view our Application Instruction Guide in PDF format.